There may be seventeen things here, but likely not, that we learned and grew from in 2017 in PBR. Enjoy the list. Ninbinz, Marc, and Clare will likely make a post of their own reflections, so be on the lookout for those.
- You can’t make people better than they want to be. Believe me, we tried, but in some cases, people are not ready until they are ready. As cryptic as it sounds, there’s no better way to state it: you cannot make someone better than they themselves are willing to become. Period. You can certainly be a catalyst, but every person has to find their own spark.
- Talent is often hidden in plain sight. We’ve run into some amazingly talented people this year and have had the pleasure of working on various things with them. It always amazes me how talented people can show themselves to be given only a seed of faith and the right guidance.
- Charisma does not build an community. Character does. No matter how funny you may or may not be, at the end of the day, character is what lets you maintain what your charisma or talent attracts to you. The proof of that is everywhere.
- You have to do the work. There are some things you cannot outsource or automate. At some point, you have to just do the mundane things and take joy in what that mundane stuff will produce.
- Consistency is the size of one decision. If you want to build something that last, you have to make the same decision several times. That’s what consistency is. Making the same decisions, with little variation, over a long period of time.
- Rest is essential. Your offline time is just as important as your streaming time, networking time, and every thing else. Unhealthy minds and emotions make for unhealthy communities and poor streaming experiences. Just don’t.
- Choose. Any choice will do, but make a choice. Make an honest one.
- Say no more often. Some things aren’t worth your time. When you run into those things, say no. No one will die. The world will continue to turn. You don’t have to feel guilty about it.
- Say yes more often. You’re more capable than you give yourself credit for and it is worth exploring the breadth of that capability, then expanding.
- You don’t get what you can’t articulate. Learn to be clear about what you want and need. Practice communicating that to others in a concise way.
- We have the internet we build. If you’re nothing but memes, you will find the internet becomes such a place. Imagine what we could be if we did better? That will be what PBR explores as long as it exists, but with that exploration comes the knowledge that, if we want something, we have to build it with our own hands.
- The truth is always best. Always. We’ve heard many reasons for not speaking the truth this year and the consequences have never been worth it. Conversely, the moments when we have spoken the truth even while afraid have always been healing for all parties involved.
- This is the 13th item on this list.
- The way forward is not the way you came. The future is in the places you haven’t been with people you picked up along the way. That’s your tribe and who you are moving forward with. Be good to each other and brook no nonsense.
- Your inner circle is either your rise or your fall. The people that you keep closest to you are going to be your limit in many respects. Keep an eye on your circle and be ready to make adjustments to keep things moving forward and keep yourself the best you that you can be.
I think that’s about all for this post. See you in 2018.